Dog Adoption —
Choosing, Caring For and Training
Puppies and Adult Dogs
Is dog adoption a mystery to you?
Are you unsure whether to adopt or to buy a puppy from a breeder?
Do you have questions about dog breeds and choosing the right dog for you?
Are you unsure about how to deal with and care for a young and growing dog?
Charlie, my 14 year old, 16 pound Yorkie/ Mini Schnauzer/Cocker Spaniel mix breed from the SPCA in his sit-stay.
If you answered "yes" to any of the above, Your Dog Adoption and Training Guide is here to help!
With literally a lifetime of experience with adopted dogs, I've seen it all. Whatever your question, you'll find the answer here.
If you're bewildered about training your newly adopted dog (and all the training options available to you), I cover that, too, including clicker training and positive reinforcement. Plus health and illness issues for over 160 breeds that I have profiled to date.
Here you'll learn about what's involved in adopted dog ownership, training and care, so that you can have the wonderful experience with a canine friend that millions of dog owners already enjoy.
Dog Adoption Is an Important Issue
This adopted Labrador Retriever loves playing Frisbee at the beach!
Did you know that up to 30% of the dogs in animal shelters are purebreds? Did you know that shelters even take in puppies?
Our dog pounds and shelters are overcrowded with wonderful pets just waiting for you to come rescue one of them. All they want is a kind, safe, happy, forever-home!
And dog adoption can give you many choices—adult dogs, puppies, purebreds, crosses, and mutts.
When you adopt, you get a dog that is truly grateful for a second chance. S/he will do everything possible to please you.
With just a little effort, ownership of an adopted dog can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life!
Is adopting a dog right for you? I discuss it in detail, so that you can make an informed decision.
Dog training must be part of the dog adoption process. Training is vital for a happy dog/owner relationship, so training is included in this site to round out your knowledge about adoption.
Actually, dog training is part of "caring" for your dog. "A well trained dog is a happy dog" and proper use of clicker training just makes it better.
Choosing the right dog and training the dog are two of the most important aspects of canine ownership. Understanding what to expect and how to handle a dog completes the picture of dog adoption.
The Dog Book Isle offers books and DVDs jammed with information about living with, caring for and training an adopted dog or puppy. Each dog breed page also offers specific books for that specific breed. Start here to find the right breed for you.
An adopted Shepherd mix.
Don't Let Your Dog Become a Statistic!
Only about 1 out of 13 puppies born live to see their second birthday. Even fewer see their third birthday. This is largely because the new dog owners did not know how to select the right dog, and then did not know what to expect and how to deal with the dog once they got it home.
You can be one of the successful adopters of a shelter or pound dog. Click on a button on the left and continue reading to discover how easy it is to prepare for your new life with an adopted dog.
Oh, those racing Greyhounds!
3-year old retired Greyhounds make wonderful adoption dogs.
- Should I Get A Dog? Am I Ready For A Dog Now?
- There are reasons why people should and should not get a dog. Find out what's involved to care for a dog BEFORE you adopt or buy one.
- Dog Adoption vs Breeders The Good and Bad of Both
- Dog adoption vs breeders - The good AND bad -- adopt from a kennel, dog pound -or - buy a puppy from a breeder? A discussion of both...
- Choosing A Dog -- What kind BEST FOR YOU? Help Deciding!
- Choosing a dog is vitally important. Do you want to raise a puppy from the bottom up, or give an adult dog a second chance at life?
- Dog Shelters, Dog Rescue Groups, ASPCA,, Humane Society, SPCA's etc...
- It's good to be informed about the various dog shelters such as the SPCA and Humane Society and how they opersate to make informed decisions when adopting your new dog.
- Animal Shelters Dog Kennels The Dog Pound Information
- Animal shelters, aka Dog Pounds, and things you should know before adopting a dog. A good discussion about dog pounds, kennels, animal shelters, what to ask and look for.
- Adopt A Dog -- What you need to know About Adopting A Dog
- Adopt a dog and you save a life. The good and bad about adopting from the pound. How to check for dog aggression, socialization, etc.....
- Bringing Home A New Puppy --- New Dog? --- What Do I Do Now?
- Bringing Home A New Puppy .-- What should you have on hand for your new dog when he comes home? -- What will he need, what will he eat? What are the first things you need to do?
- Dog Potty Training -- Housebreaking -- House Training
- dog potty training, sometimes called “house training” or “housebreaking” can be done several ways. Here are two methods that work.
- How To Become ALPHA DOG -- Pack Leader -- You'll Learn Here -Be TOP DOG
- Alpha Dog is in charge of the household. It's a learned skill and your dog must know YOU are in charge or there will be all kinds of trouble.
- Clicker Training & Positive Reinforcement -- The EASY Training Method
- Clicker training / positive reinforcement is the most effective, painless way to train a dog, any size or breed of dog. Learn how today!
- Dog Training Tips And Aids - Make Dog Training Easier
- Dog training tips and aids will help make your dog-education process a little easier and quicker.
- Dog Training - Basic Commands -- Things Dogs MUST know!
- Dog training is vital to a happy, obedient, healthy dog,
- Dog Behavior Training -- Things a dog NEEDS to know!
- Dog behavior training covers a range of highly unwanted behaviors that must be corrected. Learn what to do when Fido goes wrong.
- Separation Anxiety In Dogs --- How To Control Dog Separation Anxiety
- Separation anxiety in dogs is quite common. The condition must be dealt with and is controlable with time and effort. Learn how....
- Choosing A Puppy - Choosing The Right Puppy From A Litter - What to look for
- Choosing a puppy -- deciding to get one deserves careful thought. You need information. How to choose a breeder. How to choose a puppy from the litter.
- Puppy Training -- Puppy Priorities
- Puppy training starts at around 4 weeks. Training Priorities.Chew Toy, Potty Training, Crate,Socilization, Commands and more info about puppies...
- Puppy Potty Training Housebreaking Toilet Training.A Puppy
- Puppy potty training is one of the first things to work on when a new puppy comes into your life. Here is what to do.
- Crate Training --Why It Works. .Why Crate Train? How?
- Crate training allows control over a dog’s potty habits and prevents household misbehavior. It's Training, NOT punishment!
- Dogs And Kids
- Dogs and kids can be a dangereous combination resulting in serious injury or death to the child. Here are some warnings.
- Dog Care Information
- Dog care covers a vast number of areas. Here are a few important considerations.
- There Are Dog Breeds for Everyone! -- Breed Profiles -- Health/Medical -- Facts
- Breed Profiles,-- Medical,-- Health -- The variety of Dog Breeds is enormous. Learn about each one.-- Which BREED is best for YOU? We'll help you choose and train your new dog.
- What Is A Dog? What Are Dogs All About? What Do Dogs Do?
- "What is a dog" is a great question. There's a lot to learn about dogs. Dogs are amazing animals and we need to understand as much as possiblre about them and their needs from humans.
- Dog Links
- Dog Links Links to dog-related websites of interest.
- Dog Health Prevent Illness, Prevent Health Problems Keep Dog Healthy
- Dog Health is important. What to look for. Siogns your dog is sick..
- Dog Food
- Dog Food -- Dry vs Kibble
- Dogs And Seniors -- Made For Each Other
- Dogs and seniors make a great team. The dog needs time and love, the senior citizen has time and love to offer. Perfect match!.
- Good Apartment dogs - 53 Suitable Breeds 4 Apartments, Flats,/Condo living
- Apartment Dogs -- Al;phabetical list -- 53 dogs from teacup to large, we've got good dog breeds for apartments, flats and condo dwellers.. Come visit!....
- Dog First Aid -- First Aid For Dogs -- When see Vet -- What's an Emergency?
- Dog First Aid - Can you take a dog's pulse, temperature, do CPR or give the Heimlich to a choking dog? Stop by for more info..
- About Me -- Who's The Face Behind The Site?
- About Me -- Were you wondering who was behind all these pages of information? Well, here I am....
- 45 Best Small Dog Breeds -- Small dogs -- A Small Dog breed for everyone!
- 45 Small Dog Breeds, their character, photo and complete Profile w/Health Issues -- Profile Page 4 each.
- Dog Poisoning Products -- What NOT to Feed Dogs -- What Can Kill A Dog
- Dog Poisoning, choking and internal harm can devastate a dog. This is a list of common products that are real hazards to dogs.
- Dog Book Isle Best Book selections. Need Dog Books?
- Dog Book Isle where you can find a wide variety of useful, 5 abd 4-star rated documents at discount prices.